Fill your “Living Well Toolbox” and have fun with others as you practice skills to live life to the fullest and meet day-to-day challenges. At a Living Well Alaska workshop, you will learn the skills to feel better, embrace life and spend less time in the doctor’s office or hospital.
- 2.5-hour workshop each Tuesday for six weeks
- Bring your spouse, family member or friend
- Workbook and refreshments are provided
Starts: September 19th, 2017
When: Tuesdays at 10:00 AM for six weeks
Where: Sunshine Community Health Center, Talkeetna Office
Space is limited so register now. To sign up, use the form below:
Want to talk with someone first or prefer to register by phone? Contact Kirsten at (907) 733-9232.
Living Well Alaska workshops can bolster your confidence and ability to engage in health-promoting behaviors so that you are better able to deal with the impact of your condition and maximize the quality of your life. This includes all aspects of your health ~physical, emotional, social, and medical expertise. These workshops are designed to:
- give you the necessary knowledge, skills, and confidence to manage life with a chronic illness
- teach you how to collaborate with your healthcare providers and navigate the healthcare system
- develop your skills and increase confidence for self-management
- reduce chronic disease related pain, fatigue, disability, anxiety, and depression
- improve your self-rated general health
What is Living Well Alaska?
Living Well Alaska is a six week (one class per week) workshop that helps people with chronic illnesses learn tools to self-manage their condition and take charge of their life. Each workshop is 2.5 hours over a six week period. The program is a chronic disease self-management program (CDSMP) sponsored by the State of Alaska Department of Health and Social Services, Division of Public Health and by the University of Alaska Fairbanks Cooperative Extension Service. Its effectiveness has been well documented and is helpful for people with ongoing health conditions such as:
- heart disease
- chronic pain
What is Self-Management
Self-management is practicing the skills you need to live an active and emotionally satisfying life. People who take these classes feel better, are less limited by their ongoing health condition and may spend less time at the doctor’s or in the hospital. Learn skills and tips to:
- Understand and handle symptoms
- Find practical ways to deal with pain and fatigue.
- Eat well and be active
- Understand how to live with difficult emotions
- Learn better ways to talk with your doctor and family about your health.
- Solve many of the problems that prevent you from doing what you want to do
- Set your own goals and make a step-by-step plan to improve your health
- Get the support you need
Who Should Attend
Living Well Alaska classes are very helpful for people with ongoing health conditions. You are encouraged to bring your spouse, family member, or friend to attend the workshop with you.
Living Well Brochure: Living Well Brochure
For more information visit the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services – Division of Public Health website.