Sunshine Care Connections is the name of the Care Coordination program at Sunshine Community Health Center, both at the Talkeetna and Willow sites.
Sometimes we have only brief contact and make just a few phone calls to help someone. In other situations, we take the client into our caseload and make regular phone calls.
Here are some things we can help with:
- Explain State, Federal, and other programs which include Marketplace Health Insurance, Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid, Senior Benefits, Heating Assistance, and Summer Senior Food Coupons.
- Assist patients with paperwork for all the above-listed programs.
- Determine if patients are eligible for the sliding fee discount.
- Arrange transportation for patients to go to medical appointments.
- Inform patients of the availability of payment plans and obtaining medications from Three Bears Pharmacy.
- Connect patients with resources such as food banks, legal assistance, and care coordination.
- Help obtain handicap parking stickers
- Assist with Comfort One (end of life) paperwork (completion, questions, and distribution).
Here are some examples of the agencies we coordinate with: Senior Centers, Sunshine Transit, Alzheimer’s Association, Foodbanks, Assistive Technology of Alaska, Alaska Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired, and Muscular Dystrophy Association, etc.
We can help with some questions regarding the allocation of finances to receive the best medical coverage possible for each patient (eg. Miller’s Trust’s, obtaining Medicaid and Social Security). We refer clients to Alaska Legal Services Corporation for help with wills, and legal aid.
Supports for home-bound or terminally ill patients
We make arrangements with local caregivers such as personal care assistants (PCAs), chore and respite providers as well as their employing agencies such as Willow PCA, Access Alaska, Immediate Care, and Ready Care. Caregivers can be also obtained through the Alzheimer’s Association which often has grants to cover costs.
Home Health Care Services
Home Delivered Meals
Durable Medical Equipment
Medication and Supplies Delivery
The systems (State, Federal, PCA agencies, etc) can be complicated. We are always learning and trying to keep up with changing information. We may not always know the answers, but we are pretty good at finding someone who does.
Feel free to run something by us and we can let you know if we can help out or not.
Patient Advocate Talkeetna Clinic
907-733-2273 ext. 222
Patient Advocate Willow Clinic
907-495-4100 ext. 422